Hurricane Sandy (otherwise known as Frankenstorm) is in full throttle. While the rain hasn’t started yet here in NYC, the winds are picking up and the streets are looking eerily empty. In July we reported on The Weather Channel’s “My Friends’ Weather”, a Facebook app that tells you which Facebook friends are affected by severe weather. There’s never been a better time to use this app and here’s how.
1. Go to The Weather Channel’s website, scroll down on this tutorial page and login with your Facebook account.
2. On the top of Weather.com you’ll then instantly be able to see how many of your friends are currently affected by Sandy.
3. Click on the link next to where it says how many Facebook friends are affected and it will take you to this amazing page, which will break down your friends by City, State to let you know exactly who’s affected and where. It organizes first by “Family”, then by “Close Friends” then by the rest of your Facebook friends.
The Weather Channel has built an amazing app, which is definitely going to be utilized a lot over the next 24-48 hours as the storm hits. They’re also live streaming on YouTube (there’s already over 3,000 people tuned in). Stay safe and dry and if you have a few minutes to spare, make sure to encourage @Sandy to become the hurricane, like @Irene did.
- MTV and 'Jersey Shore' cast unite to 'Restore the Shore' post Sandy
- Instagram debuts on the web, a look at some of the first media profile pages
- The Weather Channel's Jim Cantore on how social affected Sandy coverage: 'Nothing travels faster than the news on social media'