The BET Awards, the network’s major tentpole event broke some impressive digital records this past weekend. The awards have always set social TV precedents when it comes to going above and beyond in leveraging platforms for the big event and this year was no exception. Here’s an inside look at some of their impressive feats for this year’s version of the awards.
Mobile played a huge role in the awards digital growth this year. According to the network:
BET Mobile also smashed records, generating more page views and engagement than any other year in the network’s history. Mobile page views on the day of show were up 65% from last year, with app users performing 187,000 social actions on the day of show, an eight –fold increase over 2012. Mobile users were also fervently engaged in app features with over 45,000 app users playing the all-new “Hustle” leader board game for a chance to win fame and prizes and casting an average of 150 votes per person in June, an increase of 60% over 2012.
- The BET AWARDS 13 ranked #1 on both SocialGuide and Trendrr.TV’s charts measuring social media engagement for television
- The BET AWARDS 13 had a 76% increase in trending topics on Twitter over 2012
- From a social standpoint, the BET AWARDS 13 outperformed major 2013 tent-pole events including the 70th Annual Golden Globe Awards and the Academy of Country Music Awards
- More than a 100,000 posts on Instagram were tagged using our official hashtag #BETAwards
- The pre and post shows combined generated nearly half a million social interactions.
- Both telecasts placed in the top 10 of most social television shows on June 30, 2013
The mobile growth is proving how far TV viewers are moving away from even laptops while watching TV. As mobile interfaces and apps improve, BET is proving that you’re not really even watching the show unless you’re engaging with it too.
- An inside look at how Univision capitalized on social for the Latin Grammy's
- Kohl's dominates social TV advertising with campaign for American Music Awards
- Social buzz and ratings bump help drive the Country Music Awards back to first place
- Breaking Bad wins at the Emmys and on Facebook