Fox made headlines during their upfront in May by announcing the Britney Spears would be one of the new judges for the second season of the X Factor. Now the season has kicked off and competition with The Voice for linear and social TV ratings has heated up. The latest success is the impressive social TV growth celebrity Britney Spears has seen hit her channels since joining the X Factor. Here are the details.
The social web reinforces how important it is for major shows to have major talent associated with them. Many people who might not have thought to give X Factor a shot, were definitely interested in seeing Spears, once a tabloid train-wreck come back to the spotlight. Here’s a summary of her growth, from Bluefin Labs, Trendrr and more.
- On Twitter, Britney spurred 7 worldwide trending topics in 7 consecutive days leading up to the premiere
- During a montage segment of Britney clips in the season premiere, she received over 13,000 tweets per minute – that’s more than when Ryan Lochte won the 400M individual medley in this year’s Olympics. (data courtesy Bluefin labs)
- The X Factor commanded a 46% share of social TV commentary for its third night with 2.3M social TV comments across the first 3 episodes (average of 776K per episode) according to Trendrr.
- According to Facebook – Mentions of Britney spiked 2375% on the season premiere.
Can Britney help move the ratings needle for the show as the season progresses? Time will tell as The X Factor continues to compete with The Voice on both social and traditional.
- Adidas sees huge spike in social TV activity from commercial
- An inside look at Epitome Pictures' social TV strategy for 'Degrassi'
- How CNN and SnappyTV created social TV producers for the debates
- Social activity from BET's 'Hip Hop Awards' [infographic]