The World Cup is underway in what’s shaping up to be one of the summer’s biggest TV events. A few days before the tournament took off FIFA released a free downloadable app to compliment the viewing experience. “The official FIFA World Cup™ app has launched with exclusive coverage from Brazil 2014, meaning fans can take the world’s biggest event with them wherever they go,” according to the release. Here are the details.
Matt Stone, FIFA’s Head of Digital, said in a release that: “The official 2014 FIFA World Cup app is your virtual ticket to the global stadium. It’s the best way to #joinin with the biggest conversation on the planet – only the World Cup and digital can make this happen. It’s the perfect companion both for TV viewers and for audiences on the move.”
Here are the features:
- The official app for Brazil 2014 is the essential companion, featuring live coverage from all 64 games.
- Fans can stay connected with the latest news, photos, videos, real-time voting on the official Man of the Match plus the chance to win the actual kick-off ball from the games.
- The app is the virtual ticket for smartphone users to #joinin FIFA’s Global Stadium – the social, online and mobile hub for the World Cup. During the matches, fans can engage with friends, worldwide fans, players, coaches and celebrities from the in-app social media feed and could see themselves in the Global Stadium, by adding #WorldCup to their posts.
- Fans can also keep track of all the tournament stats, the FIFA/Coca-Cola World Ranking, 197 world leagues and explore how FIFA brings to life its passion for developing the game and building a better future with stories from our worldwide projects
- Infographic: World Cup Shatters Facebook Engagement Records
- ESPN and Univision on World Cup: Enjoy the Games...On Our Terms
- The Record Breaking Continues: Facebook Tops 1 Billion World Cup Interactions
- Women 18-24 Drive World Cup Facebook Conversation on Monday