The Teen Choice Awards aired on Fox this past Sunday, and internet stars got fans tweeting. Our analytics partner, Canvs, which measures social sentiment around shows, looked at the Teen Choice Awards conversation.
The top three most reacted-to stars from Sunday’s Teen Choice Awards are all internet-famous. While they may not be popular with the over-20 set, Vine and YouTube celebs elicited the most emotional reactions from the Teen Choice audience.
- Viner Cameron Dallas (@camerondallas) was mentioned in a whopping 12.6% of reactions.
- Viner Matt Espinosa (@themattespinosa) was mentioned in 7.6% of all reactions
- YouTube star Tyler Oakley (@tyleroakley) was mentioned in 4.7% of reactions.
A “scandal” erupted over Teen Choice voting policies spurring the #teensdonthaveachoiceawards hashtag, but even this can’t explain the dominance of internet-famous stars. We found a sizable 6,277 reactions containing #teensdonthaveachoiceawards, but all of these tweets occurred after the 10:00 end time. (For scale, 196,061 reactions mentioned Cameron Dallas.)
Here is some additional data and an infographic about the social sentiment around the Teen Choice Awards:
- Latin Grammy Awards Sees Double-Digit Audience Growth, Social TV Success
- Exclusive: ‘NewNowNext Awards’ Introduces ‘Best New Social Influencer’ Category
- MTV Generating Buzz for EMA Ahead of 20th Anniversary Show
- BET Plans Extensive Social and Digital Activations for the 2014 Hip Hop Awards