With the Olympics halfway over, NBC has begun to release the success of their digital properties, which includes live streaming of all the games on their iPad apps. The web changed completely between 2008 and 2012, enabling a more social Olympics who’s coverage can be found way beyond the TV screen. Here are details on the NBC Olympics digital success.
The results are in for NBC’s digital footprint for the Olympics. Here are the main stats:
- 75 Million Total Videos Streamed, Up 182% vs. Beijing in 2008
- 34 Million Live Streams, Up 333% vs. Beijing
- 744 Million Page Views, Up 160 Million from Beijing
- NBC Olympics Live Extra & NBC Olympics apps Peaked at No. 1 & 2 as Top Free Apps for iPhone & iPad on App Store
- 6.2 Million Devices Verified by Cable, Satellite and Telco Customers
Regarding NBCOlympics.com’s mobile website, the total unique viewers for the 2008 games were 2.8 million and for London 2012 there have already been 5.2 million, proving smartphone penetration. The NBC Live app has already had 7 million unique users and the NBC Olympics app has had 2.7 million.
The announcement on their successes, made on Friday were missing any stats on social. No word of the progress of their partnerships with Twitter or Facebook or how many people have been sharing content to the social web from their social outlets. Here were the most live streamed clips, all destroying of course the one 2008 clip that made it to the list:
|DATE||GAMES||VIDEO CLIP||VIDEO SPORT||STREAMS|
|July 31, 2012||London||Team USA Women’s Gymnastics wins Gold||Gymnastics||1,462,834|
|August 2, 2012||London||Michael Phelps wins 200IM Gold||Swimming||1,192,812|
|August 2, 2012||London||Gabby Douglas wins Women’s All-Around Gold||Gymnastics||1,096,319|
|July 30, 2012||London||Men’s Gymnastics Team Gold Medal Final||Gymnastics||1,067,679|
|July 31, 2012||London||Team USA Men’s Swimming wins 4×200 Gold||Swimming||1,010,416|
|July 28, 2012||London||Ryan Lochte wins 400IM Gold||Swimming||891,819|
|July 29, 2012||London||Team USA Men’s Swimming earns 4×100 Silver||Swimming||823,194|
|July 29, 2012||London||Team USA Women’s Gymnastics Qualifications||Gymnastics||688,752|
|August 1, 2012||London||Men’s Gymnastics All-Around Gold Medal Final||Gymnastics||610,335|
|August 22, 2008||Beijing||USA Men’s Basketball Semifinal||Basketball||581,882|
Any surprises in there? We’ll update you as NBC releases more numbers.
- Learn How To Build a Website To Share Your Clips, Get Free Webcast Access
- Adidas sees huge spike in social TV activity from commercial
- An inside look at Epitome Pictures' social TV strategy for 'Degrassi'
- How CNN and SnappyTV created social TV producers for the debates