- We measured Tweets about commercials from October 11-17. The infographic displays the brands with the most talked-about TV commercials during this week.
- The top 3 brands with the most tweeted-about commercials were Pepsi (33K), the movie Paranormal Activity 4 (6.6K), and Target (4.8K).
- Pepsi jumped to the top of the list this week, beating all the other brands by a long shot. The reason? Their new commercial, featuring boy band sensation One Direction and NFL star Drew Brees, started airing in the US.
- Although the spot only aired a total of 20 times, 70% of Pepsi’s total social TV commentary for the week was about One Direction appearing in the commercial.
- Target got people Tweeting with a Christmas-themed commercial, which aired a total of 133 times. Many viewers couldn’t believe that a Christmas commercial was airing on TV before Halloween. For example, Taylor Last Tweeted: “I just saw a Christmas commercial for Target. It hasn’t even been Halloween. #seriously #why”
- Although Red Bull doesn’t appear on this list, they received a lot of buzz in social media this week. Many people commented that footage from Felix Baumgartner’s historical jump from space would make a great commercial for the brand.
- Anticipatory buzz is building for Brad Pitt’s Chanel No. 5 ad. The commercial has yet to air on US television, but Chanel posted the spot to YouTube, where it’s garnered an impressive 4.1M views since October 15.
Source: Bluefin Labs
The Top 10 Social TV Commercials Chart, powered by Bluefin Labs, ranks brands according to how many Tweets their TV commercials received during one week. The “Week-Over-Week % Change” compares the amount of Tweets from the previous week to the current week listed in the chart. The “# of Earned Impressions” refers to the sum of potential impressions made by Tweets about the brand’s commercials: if someone with 100 followers sends 1 Tweet, then it is counted as making 100 potential impressions.
This analysis is based on Bluefin Labs’ social TV analytics covering the top 600 brands in national markets.
- Applebee’s enlists a champion flair bartender for innovative social campaign [exclusive]
- A&E launches social competition to make fans part of Duck Dynasty's marketing
- The top social TV commercials: Super Bowl edition
- Social TV commercials: AT&T on the decline, CGI animals on the rise before the Super Bowl