Social TV continues to become a global phenomenon. Back in December, Loyalize (since acquired by Viggle) launched a partnership with Yahoo!7 in Australia to create FANGO, a social TV app that includes check-in and polling capabilities for the country’s TV market. Today FANGO is announcing 500,000 app downloads and over one million check-ins for their platform as social TV grows in Australia.
- Over half of the Australian population now owns a smartphone and this is expected to rise to nearly two-thirds by next year.
- Tablet use is growing even more quickly with 18% of households now owning a tablet and this is expected to more than double to nearly 40% within a year.
- Multiscreen behavior is becoming the norm in Australia with 60% of people accessing the internet while watching television, a large proportion of these people doing so daily. (According to, Nielsen The Australian Online Consumer Landscape, March 2012)
- In June 2012, 59,699 FANGO polls were completed, 91,795 trivia questions were answered and over 10,000 badges were awarded to fans based on their levels of interaction
- Learn How To Build a Website To Share Your Clips, Get Free Webcast Access
- Adidas sees huge spike in social TV activity from commercial
- An inside look at Epitome Pictures' social TV strategy for 'Degrassi'
- How CNN and SnappyTV created social TV producers for the debates