The results of a recent study conducted by VivaKi’s The Pool –and unveiled during Advertising Week – truly demonstrate the need for advertisers to engage with TV audiences on both the first and second screens. The study, titled “Two Screen TV Lane,” included research with two advertisers, including Kraft, and other participants included Viacom, zeebox, Alternate Routes, comScore and Tobii Technology. The research itself included four components: focus groups, eye-tracking, attitudinal analysis, and behavioral analysis.
During the eye-tracking research, participants watched TV while simultaneously using zeebox on a tablet. The participants showed an inclination to engage with additional content during commercials, with over two-thirds of participants focused on their tablets during commercials.
“Every day we are seeing more growth of the second screen from consumers and advertisers,” said Jason Forbes, EVP, zeebox USA. “This research confirms that zeebox’s platform, features and ad products are on track with what consumers and advertisers want – a connective tissue that creates a community of likeminded fans looking for more of a personalized experience that is intuitive, interactive and social. For brands, it’s about highly contextual solutions that further activates their TV investment and allows them to reach a very targeted and engaged audience.”
Here are some notable statistics from the study and here’s the link to the full report:
- 64% of smartphone owners and 70% of tablet owners multi-task while watching TV several times a week or daily
- The average consumer is watching over 5 hours of video per day, an increase of 1 hour per week (+4%) in 2 years
- 40+% of mobile users now report daily usage of a second screen device while watching TV; 29% of viewers report looking up program-related information and 20% report looking up ad-related information while watching TV.
- TiVo Study: Multitasking Viewers Rarely Engage in TV-Related Side Activities
- Infographic: Fans React to Homer and Peter Sharing the Small Screen Together
- Live-Tweeting TV Shows Lifts Conversation Volume and Follower Growth Rate
- Viacom Study: The 5 Steps to Series Fandom in the TV Everywhere Era