Every year the MTV Video Music Awards (VMAs) has that one big moment described as “lightening in a bottle,” by VP of Programming for MTV Digital Colin Helms. Last night that moment was when Beyonce finished performing, threw down her microphone, rubbed her belly indicating she was pregnant, followed by the camera turning to a smiling Jay-Z being congratulated by Kanye West.
At 10:35 PM ET, a new record was set for Tweets Per Second at 8,868, confirmed by @TwitterGlobalPR. In total, 10 million @MTV #VMA-related Tweets were sent on Sunday during the East Coast airing. “That’s more Tweets than any award show to date!” says Twitter.
Here’s a list of the other impressive social stats the network has released:
- MTV tracked more than 3 million tweets via the tweet tracker
- Social referrals were up 76% vs. last year’s VMA, making it the most socially referred VMA day ever.
- Facebook referrals were up 112% YOY
- Twitter was up 45% YOY
- Tumblr followers more than doubled
- @MTV added 130K followers on Twitter
- There were 3.6 million mentions of MTV’s hashtag #VMA
- MTV VMA’s owned all ten worldwide trending topics during the show
- Over 1.2M streams were generated across MTV.com, tablet, and mobile devices, averaging 8 streams per visitor
- MTV.com attracted 1.9M visitors on Sunday 8/28, an increase of +33% YOY and over 10 million pageviews were garnered +18% YOY
Kristin Frank, GM of MTV Digital released this statement: “our goal was to provide an additive, fan activated, cross platform experience that collectively amplified and complimented the main stage viewing on television. Last night we shattered digital records across the board, scoring our largest VMA day audience and livestreams on MTV.com, reaching our biggest audience and livestreams to date across MTV mobile and tablet sites, and tracking more than 3 million tweets via our Twitter Tracker.”
Here’s Trendrr‘s analysis of MTV’s VMAs, wrapped up in an infographic:
Meanwhile, SocialGuide says the VMAs set new records as the most social TV show yet, beating out the season premiere of Jersey Shore with 559,610 uniques (59% share) and 1,323,922 comments (55% share).