When CBS exec Jack Sussman was asked why the Grammys broadcast is taped-delayed again this year, he said all the chatter on social media gives West Coast viewers “another reason to want to watch.” And it looks like he was right: last night’s Grammy Awards pulled in its second-highest ratings numbers in 20 years — last year’s Whitney Houston tribute still holds the top spot — while generating more than 14 million tweets, according to Twitter.
The top moments according to Twitter’s analysis of tweets-per-minute:
1. Jay-Z, Kanye West, Frank Ocean and the Dream win for best rap collaboration (116,400 TPM)
2. Rihanna’s solo performance (114,800 TPM)
3. Prince announces Record of the Year (109,400 TPM)
4. Fun. wins best new artist: (100,600 TPM)
Whispr Group, a social media intelligence agency, says there were 29% more tweets this year compared to last. It compiled some Twitter data of the show’s biggest hits and misses (and scroll down for an infographic):
· Disappointed Ed Sheeran fans caused him to be the most buzzed about nominee on Twitter, bringing in nearly 32% more tweets than Taylor Swift (the second most buzzed about nominee).
· Although Justin Timberlake wasn’t nominated for an award, his show stopping retro performance received the highest positive feedback (89%), snagged him the most new followers on Twitter (+86K), and landed him one of the most buzzed about style icons on the red carpet.
· Taylor Swift’s “One Direction Diss” may caused a war between fans on Twitter, but she was still able to snag +76K new followers.
· Adele’s dress landed her as one of the most buzzed about starlets at the Grammys, but unfortunately for all the wrong reasons, receiving only 55% positive sentiment.
· Carrie Underwood’s anime dress was the most tweeted about style, pulling in 90% favorable discussions.
· Rihanna & Chris Brown’s “snuggle” at the Grammys was the among the most controversial, and also most discussed Grammy moments with over 144K Tweets.
- Exclusive: ‘NewNowNext Awards’ Introduces ‘Best New Social Influencer’ Category
- MTV Generating Buzz for EMA Ahead of 20th Anniversary Show
- BET Plans Extensive Social and Digital Activations for the 2014 Hip Hop Awards
- Streamy Awards Honor Internet's Best, Pay Tribute to Joan Rivers