Univision Upfront: ‘social is key component in how we create content and how we engage the audience’
Lost Remote just attended Univision’s upfront in New York City where social TV was a theme that extended throughout each executive’s presentation. Flama (the media company’s new OTT) and Fusion (the newish English-language, millennial focused news partnership with Disney ABC) were among the platforms where digital and social were presented as part of their DNA. After the presentation, we caught up with David Beck, Univision’s SVP and GM of social media.
Beck described how social is a “key component in how we create content and how we engage the audience.”
As a reminder of Univision’s massive reach on digital/social here’s an overview of their growth and property from the company.
- Univision Digital is the #1 multiplatform site for Hispanics (including PC/desktop and smartphone/tablet site traffic activity) with nearly double the number of monthly Hispanic multiplatform unique visitors than its closest competitor ABC (among the broadcast sites) and Terra Telefónica (among its Spanish competitive set.)
- In 2014, Univision Digital is seeing an average of 6.7 million monthly multiplatform unique visitors. Univision Digital consistently has more mobile only traffic compared to other broadcast sites – 3 in 5 Univision Digital unique visitors access the site using only a mobile device.
- There were nearly 5 million total app downloads in 2013, 30% more than 2012. Univision’s UVideos app was the most downloaded app in 2013, while the Univision Deportes app had the most downloads in a single month in 2013, due to the Gold Cup in July.
- Univision’s social media platforms are building engagement and connection with our fans. The 2014 “Premio Lo Nuestro” preceding red carpet special was the most socially-engaged red carpet show of 2014, ahead of the Oscars, GRAMMYs, Golden Globes and MTV Music Awards.
- Univision has nearly doubled (+91%) the number of people tweeting while watching TV, higher than any major English language broadcast or cable network. Additionally, across the broad portfolio of accounts, Univision has generated organic growth of Facebook fans and Twitter followers by 243% since the beginning of 2013.
We’re excited to see what the media giant has planned as we get closer and closer to the World Cup, which they’ll be airing. There’s also a brand new Simon Cowell backed competition show for the best Latin boy band called La Banda that looks very exciting and will for sure have tons of opportunities to integrate social.
- A recap of the 2014 upfronts from Stuart Elliott and Simon Applebaum
- A+E Networks get social for 2014 upfront
- Upfronts: How the cast of MTV's 'Faking It' and 'Awkward' are using social media
- ESPN and Twitter expand their partnership with video at the center