Yesterday was MTV’s upfront where the network debuted a number of exciting new programs. Lost Remote caught up with cast members from two of their hit shows earlier in the day to discuss how they use social media to interact with fans and promote the show. Here are the details. Stars Rita Volk (Amy), Katie Stevens (Karma), Gregg Sulkin (Liam) and EP/writer Carter Covington spoke about the recent launch of the show and how they uses social media. Katie is even an avid user of “If This Then That” to manage her social. Molly Tarlov and Barrett Swatek of MTV’s “Awkward” talking about how Awkward was the number one show on social when it premiered. They also discussed how they get together for live-tweeting.
Here’s the slate of new and returning shows that MTV announced yesterday at their upfront:
- New 60-minute documentary film that will take fans inside the world of British singer-songwriter Ed Sheeran, one of the fastest-rising stars in pop music today. With extraordinary, intimate access to Sheeran, this film will be a portrait of a young artist at a critical juncture in his life, filled with the energy of a career that he hopes is largely ahead of him.
- Still healing from tragic losses, Scott, Stiles, Lydia and Kira return to a new semester of school with more human worries than supernatural, while also trying to help their new friend, Malia, integrate back into society. But Kate Argent’s surprising resurrection brings a new threat to Beacon Hills along with the emergence of another mysterious enemy known simply as The Benefactor.
- “Finding Carter” is a family drama that centers on Carter, a teenage girl who thinks she has the perfect life until one night after a police bust at a high school party she is told that the woman who she believes to be her biological mother actually abducted her as a toddler.
- “Ridiculousness” hosted by Rob Dyrdek returns for a fifth season with some of the most insane viral videos in history. Watch Dyrdek, along with co-hosts Sterling “Steelo” Brim and Chanel “West Coast,” take on all new categories.
- From the mind of Rob Dyrdek comes a cooking competition show with a comedic twist that is truly unlike any other, where it takes mundane munchies and elevates them to a fully baked art form. Hosted by Chef, Restaurateur and food personality, Eddie Huang, “Snack-Off” is a half-hour show where a group of amateur chefs battle it out in an array of “snack” inspired challenges vying not only for a cash prize but to have their recipe included in the “Snack-Off cookbook and the coveted spork necklace. The panel includes supermodel Chrissy Teigen, master chef Jason Quinn and comedian Yassir Lester.
- “Slednecks” is a new, half-hour docu-series following a group of ‘outdoor tough’ friends living in the modern-day Wild, Wild West of Alaska. It’s an inside look at their unique lifestyle where the world can be tougher and more dangerous than anywhere else in the lower 48. Yet these “Sled-necks” make the most of what they have, always making sure they have a good time doing it and maintaining the close bonds they have forged as friends.
- “One Bad Choice” is a new series that explores the consequences of young people who made a single, terrible decision that irrevocably changed their lives forever. Shocking, surprising, and deeply emotional, “One Bad Choice” takes viewers on a rollercoaster ride filled with twists and turns, suspense, drama and redemption through scripted storytelling based on true stories.
- “Beyond Dance” is a weekly hour-long competition show that challenges professional dancers to perform and compete in ways that push well beyond traditional dance. Led by premiere choreographers Rich & Tone who have worked artists ranging from Miley Cyrus to Michael Jackson, the dancers will battle it out in extreme challenges that take performances to the next level. Whether it’s dancing on the side of a building, underwater, or in zero gravity, these dancers will have to push themselves farther than ever for a chance at a cash prize and the title of “Beyond Dance” champion. Hosted by Jason Dundas (VH1’s “Big Morning Buzz Live”).
- A recap of the 2014 upfronts from Stuart Elliott and Simon Applebaum
- Univision Upfront: 'social is key component in how we create content and how we engage the audience'
- A+E Networks get social for 2014 upfront
- ESPN and Twitter expand their partnership with video at the center