The World Cup has already broken Facebook engagement records just one week into the games. Facebook is invested heavily in this year’s tournament, and its data team is closely monitoring the results. For the first time since the World Cup started, though, women 18-24 were the top demographic talking about Monday’s Group A matches, which included Brazil vs. Cameroon and Mexico vs. Croatia.
Younger women supporting Mexico carried the women 18-24 demo. Their interactions specifically mentioned “Chicharito,” who scored the last goal in the Mexico vs. Croatia match.
Here’s the data, via Facebook, for Monday’s matches:
- Globally, 18 million people had more than 41 million Facebook interactions (posts, comments, and likes) related to today’s final Group A matches between Brazil/Cameroon and Mexico/Croatia.
- The Facebook Men of the Match who received the most global Facebook buzz were:
- Neymar Jr. (BRA)
- Javier “Chicharito” Hernández| (MEX)
Top 5 Social Moments
1. Chicharito scores to give Mexico a 3-0 lead and secure their spot in the final 16 (82nd minute)
2. Neymar restores Brazil’s lead over Cameroon 2-1 with his second goal of the match (35th minute)
3. Neymar gives Brazil an early 1-0 lead over Cameroon (17th minute)
4. Andrés Guardado gives Mexico a 2-0 lead over Croatia, just moments after they scored their first goal (75th minute)
5. Rafa Marquez breaks the deadlock between Mexico and Croatia to give El Tri a 1-0 lead (72nd minute)
Top 5 Demos
Who was talking about the matches?
1. Women 18-24
2. Men 18-24
3. Women 25-34
4. Men 25-34
5. Women 13-17
Top 5 Countries
Where were people having conversations about the matches?
3. United States
5. Great Britain
- New App Lets Viewers Clip and Share Broadcast TV
- MTV’s ‘Rebel Music: Native America’ to Premiere Exclusively on Facebook
- BumeBox: Twitter and Facebook Chats Aren't So Bad
- Clickhole Reports 'Modern Family' Cancelled, Internet Users "Totally Stopped Breathing"